Sunday, August 5, 2012

Getting Unstuck in my walk with Christ - Day 20

Cleaning >>>
It's going a little slow cuz I'm getting down to some of the nitty gritty now - but here's a quick list of some successes...

1. I'm a packrat right?  Well, that means that all the old folders I had in college that didn't completely get used up are still in my possession...  Yep!  Even if the backs of them were falling off.  So today I went through that ginormous stack and managed to get rid of the ones that were the worst for wear...of course while saving all of the paper inside...  Hey, it does save money in the long run.  I don't think I'll ever run out of lined paper...lol!

2. I also had several stacks of papers that just needed to be filed away and that's now done - hallelujah for completing the simple but naggling things :-)

3. I've continued to go through a few of my old academic folders and notebooks and have been getting rid of papers by the stack.

4. I re-examined my 2 3-ring binders, folder, and manila envelope full of church memories, dramas, and lesson plans and managed to get them all down to just 1 3-ring binder and a folder - yayness :-)

5. I'm still working on the bookcases (#s 1, 3, and 4 having something to do with that).  It's been way more difficult than I had originally envisioned.  But it may actually be completed tomorrow...fingers crossed!

State-of-mind pic of the day.
Ngorongoro Crater in TZE (taken by me).

Spiritual reflections >>>

Chapter 9 of Unstuck contains a number of great Bible passages, and while reading them, I did my best to apply the methods found in Day 17 and Day 18.  Here is what I metabolized...

Matthew 6: 22-23 [The Message]:
     Your eyes are windows into your body.  If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light.  If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar.  If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!
     The note I wrote to myself in the book's margin was this: "If I allow myself to take in the beauty of God's creation and His promises, then joy and light will take the place of pain and doubt."
     While my eyes may not be squinty with greed, I definitely find them at times quite squinty with distrust - not trusting in His plan for my future and my life here on Earth.  But if I consider that the way I look at the world (and the magnificence that is God) is a window into my body or how my body/feelings react to my surroundings, then I have a much better chance of conquering the shackles of depression and doubt.

Proverbs 4:20-22 :
     Pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to My words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one's whole body.
[my emphasis added]
     This simple phrase is an incredibly clear call to all Christians to seek out God's wisdom and truly engage in His word.  We must find His words, and to do that, we cannot just read them...

     To end, I want to share a quote in this chapter from J. I. Packer:
"God's purpose in revelation is to make friends with us.  God's friendship with men and women begins and grows through speech.  His to us in revelation, and ours to Him in prayer and praise.  Though I cannot see God, He and I can yet be personal friends, because in revelation He talks to me." [my emphasis added]
     Simply...Wow!

Hope that last quote leaves you in good spirits, it certainly brings a smile to my heart :-)

No comments: