Monday, June 25, 2012

Too fantastic not to share...

Michael Hyatt has done it again.  I simply can't say enough about how helpful this blog for "leaders" truly is.

          At first glance, this seemed quite foreign.  But once I understand what was meant by margin, I found the notion highly relevant.
          Basically, many people (including myself) schedule about 120% of their time at the expense of their health, sleep, and time with God.  To actually use our time in the best way possible, we should instead (according to Richard Swensen, author of Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives) schedule only 80% of our time "leaving a margin for responding to the unexpected that God sends our way."  What could be more convincing than considering the possibilities of unexpected God moments?  I LOVE this outlook.
          Hyatt also provides a link to download an excel template for his Ideal Week spreadsheet.  This document quite creatively "labels" each day of the week with a theme and each time of day with a focus area.  
          I'll leave it at that and let you check out his post (linked above) to get the full effect of this much needed message.

          I'm gonna look over the template and try out scheduling my ideal week...not saying it's gonna work, but I figure I might as well give it a go.  Regardless, I will keep in mind the 80% :-)

Note: I have not read Swensen's book, but as soon as I get some cash on me, I'm definitely gonna read it (only $7.99 for Kindle).


No comments: