Friday, June 1, 2012

Book Review - Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters

Hello all, I pray summer is treating you well thus far :-)
Tonight I just wanted to go ahead and write up this review.  There's so many things I want to post about, but I've been quite under the weather for the past 2 days and whenever that happens, my brain likes to take a break *sigh*.

Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters by Mark Coggins (Book #28 of 2012)






This was a highly entertaining collection of memoir short stories from throughout the author's life.  With self-deprecating humor and occurrences that I thought could only ever happen to me, this book was definitely a breath of fresh air.  It's so nice to know that I'm not the only crazy, hapless person on this planet.  Although I'm not sure that I would dress up like a chicken when greeting my significant other at the train station...yes, the author did that, and even included a photograph as proof!!  On the other hand, the story he told about working at his grandfather's "ranch" was totally a situation that I would find myself in.  Just like the author, if I'm told to fix something or if I manage to break something (in his case it was a giant tractor), then I do everything in my power to get it done any way that I can...even if with hindsight, the methods used were completely ridiculous and possibly even death-defying...  I'm definitely not one to be told that I'm not capable of doing something.  Basically, he used tools that were never meant to be used on a machine of that size and had to use quite a bit of elbow grease to make it all work - of course it did in the end.  Never doubt the power of belief that you can accomplish a crazy feat with only a few flimsy materials to work with...lol.  Oh yeah, and accidentally setting an entire open weed and thorn infested field on fire...very akin to a certain thing that happened a few years ago to me...and...my brother...that...well...I just don't talk about it...  Anyway, Mark's stories range from tales of love gone terribly wrong (can definitely relate there), stupid ill-thought out ideas (once again, sounds familiar), and, as I just mentioned, death-defying determination to pull off crazy stunts.  There's something for everybody in this collection and I highly recommend it!
As to the author himself, I received a hardcopy in the mail that was signed by him right before he mailed it off and had a hand written note placed between the pages.  He even responded very thoughtfully to a question I posed on LibraryThing's author chat.  It's such a cool thing to actually interact with the authors of books you read!!

Note: I won this book as part of a Member Giveaway on LibraryThing, but all the comments above are 100% honest.

No comments: