Friday, June 15, 2012

Getting unstuck in my walk with Christ - Day 3

I finished reading Chapter 2 of Unstuck, and I'd like to share some of my favorite parts...

1.  Jesus was the kind of guy that would bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bike.  Apparently Rich Mullins made this analogy years ago.  What a great image: tough love and compassion all rolled into one :-)

2.  Spiritual burnout: "when our faith seems empty and meaningless, often because we've taken God out of the picture."
Spiritual deserts: "when our conversation with the Lord seems stifled or silent and we feel we can't sense His presence or discern His voice."
     Of these two states of being, spiritual desert is where I occasionally find myself.  I think my biggest roadblock is being impatient when having to wait on God to make things clear.  He always does, but usually in way more time than I would want!  Speaking of which, a recent decision in regards to my schooling has been made clear, after I stopped stressing over it and simply gave it over to Him of course - it truly is amazing how He works :-)

3.  A quote from Frank Laubach describing how Christ awakens us out of our stupor:

"If our destiny is to grow on and on and on, 
into some far more beautiful creatures than we are now, 
with more of the ideals of Christ, that means 
that we need to have the shells broken quite frequently 
so that we can grow."

This quote reminds me of the Jimmy Needham song "Hurricane" Hurricane - Not Without Love - a phenomenal piece of music that gets to the core of what it means to be in a true relationship with Christ.  He sings, "If you're the war, let me be the casualty" and "If destruction's what I need, then I'll receive it Lord from Thee."  These words have helped me through many a bad time in my life.

4.  John Wesley once said, 

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm, 
and people will come for miles 
to watch you burn."

Wow!!  No words...


I'm keeping this short and sweet because I've been working on this post for 2 days now and it just needs to be published...  Over the last few days I've discovered another barrier to my spending time with Christ - I'm always SO TIRED!!!  Exhaustion just saps me so much that once I'm done with school work I can't seem to get up the energy to deeply focus my mind on Him.  I get plenty of sleep so I'm not really sure what the problem is, but it definitely makes connecting with Christ, beyond the act of prayer, a difficult endeavor.  Guess I need to pray about it!

Cleaning:  Well, I really haven't done all that much with this since I spent all day today with schoolwork and I've just been, as I previously mentioned, so tired.  I have managed to pull out a stack of shirts to try on to determine what to do with, so that's something...  Also, my email has been piling up horrendously fast and I have spent way too much time whittling it down...it seems I'm not only a tangible packrat, but a digital packrat as well!!!  AAACCCKK :-O



No comments: