Thursday, May 17, 2012

Organization + PLANET OF THE APES (1968)

          In regards to organization/cleaning I would definitely say that today was a good day.  While I didn't manage to move mountains, I still feel like I'm making a decent dent in what needs to be done before summer classes start in a week and a half.
           I also wanted to mention that I'm not strictly following the Assignments from 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home as originally planned, but that instead I'm doing what works for me and going along with my mood.  While this may not be the most efficient way of doing things, I believe that it helps me stay more on track as well as remain excited about accomplishing cleaning tasks.
          Today's accomplishments include the following:
   1. 15 minute clean up of the kitchen (washed pots and pans, loaded and ran dishwasher, washed and dried towels and napkins) {A2}
   2. Thorough wipe down of the sink, coffee pot, tea pot/water boiler, stove top, and half the counters {A2...sort of}
   3. Went through 1/2 a stack of BHG mags laying around...hoping to get through at least 1 more before I go to sleep.
   4. 15 minute clean up of my bedroom (unpacked travel bag, put away clean clothes, hung hangers) {A3}
   5. Found 2 more things to get rid of...this is the hardest part of the plan :-(...but also the most important really.
   6. And I'm still going through those piles of papers I mentioned yesterday...UGGGHH

          Okay, so that doesn't actually sound like a lot, but I have found that cleaning is in fact exhausting...really?!...lol.  I've also been working on a project for my GAship that starts in the Fall (I got it!!!  YAYAYA :-) so that takes time and is well worth every minute (it's fun and will be very rewarding!!).  And since it is my break, I'm using time to read books and watch movies/TV - yeah, you can call me lazy, but I would just say that it's my way of enjoyably relaxing -- especially when it's the original Charlton Heston "Planet of the Apes" movie that I'm watching!!! ;-D


          Which brings me to a reflection on my re-watching of this movie years after my initial encounter with it's mastery...
          I have been gearing up for this one for some time now since video rental places have become extinct - which, honestly, really does suck if you have a hankering for viewing a super old film (a.k.a. one made in 1968).  As luck would have it, I found an Anniversary Edition on sale for $4.99 at Winn-Dixie Tuesday night; it was immediately a must have.  My fond and excitable memories were definitely justified in my re-watching.  Although there are times when the traveling from one place to another in silence with creepy, weird music gets a little old, the movie is so brilliant in it's satiric take on our human culture that the negatives are far outweighed by the positives.  I had completely forgotten about the focus on evolution, the missing link, and heresy.  It was like watching a modern day argument in the deep south about what school children should be taught in Biology class (except with the question of Apes evolving from Humans instead).  Can you believe it?  A movie made 35 years ago is still extremely relevant to this day!  I was also quite amazed with the jab at the way humans treat their environment since the first Earth Day did not occur until 2 years later.  Although, this was probably just a side bar of the point that humans are terrible to each other and, through war, cause mass destruction and devastation of themselves and the landscape.  The strongest memory I have of watching this movie, over a decade ago, was my reaction to the ending - I won't give it away if you have yet to see this version.  I don't think any movie has made me think and question for nearly as long as this one did as the "credits" began rolling.  The impact wasn't as strong this time around since I knew what was coming, but the politics in the movie, which I had missed before given my young age, gave this timeless classic new relevance.  Love it!


No comments: